24 January, 2018
Tesco Bank appoints Gerry Mallon as Chief Executive
Tesco Bank is delighted to announce the appointment of Gerry Mallon as its new Chief Executive. Gerry, who will be a member of the Tesco Group Executive, will begin his role towards the end of July 2018.
Gerry will join from Ulster Bank, where he is currently Chief Executive. Prior to Ulster Bank, he was Chief Executive Officer of Danske Bank UK from 2008 to 2016.
Gerry has also held senior positions at Bank of Ireland, McKinsey and Co, the Industrial Development Board for Northern Ireland, and the Northern Ireland Civil Service.
Dave Lewis, Chief Executive of Tesco Group PLC, said:
“I am delighted that Gerry is joining Tesco to lead Tesco Bank and sit on the Group Executive. He joins Tesco Bank at a time of increasing digital change in financial services, which offers Tesco a brilliant opportunity to further develop and grow the helpful services we provide our customers through banking and insurance.”
Gerry Mallon, said:
“I am thrilled to be joining Tesco Bank as Chief Executive. Tesco Bank has a unique opportunity to provide for millions of Tesco customers, and I am ready to meet the challenge of being the Bank for people who shop at Tesco. Equally, I am excited to embrace the culture of Tesco, which differentiates the Bank as it relentlessly puts customers first.”
- Chief Executive, Ulster Bank – 2016 to date
- Chief Executive, Danske Bank UK/Northern Bank Limited, 2008 - 2016
- Deputy Chief Executive/Head of Business Development, Northern Bank Limited, 2006 - 2008
- Director, Business and Retail Banking, Bank of Ireland, 2002 – 2006
- President, Institute of Banking in Ireland, 2015
- Gerry is married to Una and has four young children.
- Gerry is Chairman of the Irish Football Association.
- Benny Higgins will retire from Tesco Bank on 28th February 2018 after 10 years
- From 1st March 2018, Iain Clink, Deputy Chief Executive, will assume the role of Interim Chief Executive until Gerry Mallon is able to take up his post
For more information and media enquiries please contact:
Tesco Bank press office
+44 (0) 131 274 3630 / +44 (0) 7595 441 036
Tesco Bank’s goal is to make banking and insurance easier and better value for people who shop at Tesco. We’ve been around since 1997 and today we help more than 5 million customers every day with a broad range of services from insuring their pets to buying their first home. Our 4,000 colleagues serve our customers seven days a week from our three main centres in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle, and we are also available through online and mobile banking 24/7.
Tesco Bank is a trading name of Tesco Personal Finance plc. Registered in Scotland No. 173199. Registered Address: EHQ, 2 South Gyle Crescent, Edinburgh, EH12 9FQ. www.tescobank.com
Stay updated with our press releases by registering for our RSS feed or email alerts.
For journalist enquiries only, contact the Tesco Bank Press Office on:
+44 (0)131 274 3630
+44 (0)7595 441 036